Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ode to my Mom

There is something that my Mom did for us growing up that I always loved. She always let us use the kitchen to make whatever we wanted, whenever. I can not think of a time that she ever told us we couldn't make something. Without fail, she always said yes. And without fail there was always one stipulation. "As long as you clean it up."

That has always stood out to me and I have always loved her for that. I truly think that that is part of the reason that I love to be in the kitchen. I spend over half of my day there whether it's cleaning, cooking, baking or whatever else. I never understand women when they say that they hate being in the kitchen. (I know of one reader in particular who has her eyebrows raised right now thinking that I'm nuts for loving it. She hates it. You know who you are, but just to be clear, if you don't know what PIC means, than it's not you.)

I think that part of the reason that I love it so much is that it's the heart of our home. The meeting place. The gathering spot. It's where we have fun conversations at the dinner table. It's pretty much where everything happens for our family. It's where we eat...what's not to love about eating?

I remember coming home from school everyday and my mom would have the kitchen clean (which is no small task when it's the size of hers! Let me just say that the kitchen table seats 14!) and there would be freshly baked cookies or brownies. Every single day. And if there wasn't, then something was wrong! It's just something she loved to do for her family. And it's something that she has passed on to her girls. You know I love to get in the kitchen with Addie and Kimber and make treats. We do it all the time. My sisters are the same way. Even 14 year old Annie. She can whip up a mean batch of cinnamon rolls! (Ann, let's make some next week!)

Another thing my Mom taught me about the kitchen is this little trick: If the kitchen is clean, the rest of the house feels clean. True, huh?

Anyway, I've had this on my mind a lot lately because I've promoted Addie. She is not just adding ingredients to the Kitchen-Aid for cake and cookies anymore, she is officially allowed to cook in the stove. With close supervision of course.

She pretty much did the stir-fry all on her own last night.

She gets so excited! "Like this?" "Is this good?" "Now what?" It's so fun to watch her. I've been teaching her about listening for the food to sizzle and how to know when it's done. So far she's done really good!

And of course this little gal doesn't like to be left out. She is just dying to pull her chair up to the stove. But for now we'll stick with the jobs that don't involve heat.

6 comments:

Ashby said...

You are a way better mom than I am. I can't stand having the girls around when I'm cooking. I know I need to be better about that!

And it is SOOO true what your mom said about a clean kitchen. I feel like my life is in order if I at least have that clean!

RPH said...

I totally agree! I love being in the kitchen and love having my boys in there with me.

And yes yes yes! If my kitchen is clean, I dont care what the rest of the house looks like!

Way to go Addie on the stir fry!

The Varo's said...

So I know you like being in the kitchen but my fondest memory of YOU in the kitchen is kicking your long skinny leg in the air and then SPLAT! laying flat on you back in your shiny red sleeping shorts. Hahahahahahahaha!

Addie looks like such a big girl. It makes me sad!

Travis & Allie said...

Now I know where Travis got that and I have to tell you that I have been converted..I love a clean kitchen!
Addie looks so big and grown up. I think it is great that you are teaching them while they are young. They are going to be some wonderful cooks when they are older!!

Briana said...

My boys love cooking also! I never have cook breakfast any more! They make some yummy food. The new thing is to make up recipes! Caleb and Carson made a really good chicken soup last week!
We were hoping that you would be able to see our new house when you came down last week, I know you were busy though. We'll catch you next time. :)

Sheila Richardson said...

Too bad I don't live up to my own advice. I do love a clean kitchen but mine is seldom clean...I have lots of BIG helpers but they don't clean. Thanks for the kind words...somedays I wish we could go back in time. I would be such a good mom!