Sunday, October 25, 2009

Part 1- Bluewater, NM

Jared indulged me and took me to Bluewater, NM on our way to Colorado. It was about 20 miles one way out of our way, yet it was my favorite part of the entire trip. Since it was spontaneous it made it even more fun for me!

I called my Dad up as we rolled into town and told him where we were. He was so happy and told me he was jealous. Bluewater is where my Great-Grandparents, Amos and Lorena Tietjen lived. My Grandma Richardson also grew up there. I have read countless stories lately about their lives in Bluewater that this trip meant something special. The last time I remember being there was for my Little Grandma's funeral in 1987. Little Grandma is what we called our Great Grandma.

Our first stop was the Cemetery.We searched around until we found her headstone. She is so special to me and I really felt like she was happy we made it a point to go out of our way to visit.Little Grandma's parents, Rhoda and Hyrum Cluff.
My Great Grandfather lost his mom at a young age and was later raised by his father's other wives. Although they cared for him, nothing could replace his own mother. I read recently that he became very ill for a period of time. For many months after that he was very tired and slept for long periods of time. His new mothers didn't understand and would tell him he was lazy. In his later years he learned that his illness was actually Scarlet Fever.

As a teenager he eventually left and lived with the Navajo's. He spoke the language perfectly and lived their lifestyle. He was very well respected by them and thought highly of.

His mother Emma C.
Emma O.

His father
Overlooking the cemetery.
As I looked over the village I tried very hard to picture my Grandma growing up and Little Grandma raising her family. I could see her out on the dirt road playing games with her daughters as she often did, or out on her doorstep shaking out her rugs.
Visiting with Aunt Ruth is what made the whole trip for me! My Dad suggested that I stop in to see her. He promised me that if I would tell her who I was she would grab hold me of and hug and kiss me like crazy.

I approached the door and gave a knock. I was worried that no one was home but after a little wait, she opened the door with a confused look on her face. I asked her if she was Aunt Ruth, which I knew she was because she looks so much like my Grandma, and she said yes. The look on her face became more lost. I told her that Russ Richardson was my Dad and sure enough, she pulled me close to her and wasn't about to let go! We sat down on the couch and started to chat just as if she was my very own Grandma. We laughed and talked about the family. She made me feel so comfortable. She told me about my Grandma when they were little and the crazy ideas that she would come up with. Pretty sure that runs in the family. We also talked about what a wonderful person Grandma is. My eyes started to fill with tears because she is so special to me. I apologized for crying and she said, "oh hunny, you go right ahead." She said it with a voice that sounded so much that Grandma, a little deep but gentle and feminine.

I also got an answer to a question that I have had for a long time. I was raised to pronounce Tietjen as "Tee-jen". It wasn't until I was older that I heard other people say it "Tich-en." I always though it sounded weird and well, wrong. While talking with Aunt Ruth I heard her say it the "wrong way." I asked her about it and she told me that it's a German name and that I was actually saying it right! She said that when Great Grandpa and Grandma came to Bluewater from the Colonies people couldn't say it right and it just stuck. She also told me how much she hated the name and it was horrible to grow up with. I have always been proud of it so it was interesting to hear that. She said that no one could say it and in school "to get a school teacher to say it was impossible."

I left my family outside waiting so I was sad that I couldn't stay longer. I was so at home with her that I could have stayed to chat all day long. Ahhh, I just love this lady.

Before I left I asked her if I could get a picture with her to show Grandma and she put her hands on her head and said, "oh, my hair." It made me laugh. I would have never known if this was normal or not. Looks fine to me.




4 comments:

RPH said...

Kobie Jo, what a precious experience!

Did you know my calling is Family History Consultant. I hope you documented EVERY SINGLE thing she told you. Those stories are priceless. I love hearing stuff like this. Learning about our heritage is such an important thing.

This post made my day.

The Varo's said...

so it should say "neat expereince"...

The Varo's said...

what a nest experience! there is for sure a family resemblance between your grandma and great aunt. cute, cute lady!

Our Family said...

You know how much it hurt me when you called to tell me where you were? That is okay next time I go we should go together with dad. I love that place and Little Grandma is so special to us all.