Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Ten Quick Ways to Boost Your Day

I often feel like I am running on a hamster wheel; I'm running as fast as I can but never getting anywhere!  I really don't think that the Lord intended for us to feel that way.  Life is worth enjoying!  Yes, there is a lot of work that has to happen to keep things moving, but it's up to us to keep life exciting.  Here are a few things I do when I feel like I'm running on that hamster wheel.

1.  Start your day off right!  Start it off with exercise.  Get your mind working and wake up!  Then pray and read your scriptures.  This triple combination is a surefire way to feel productive before the sun even comes up.

2.  Leave the house.  If you're feeling a little too much routine happening and not enough enjoyment- leave!  Leave the house and go somewhere.  Go for a drive, go to the store, take your kids to get a treat, just get away!  I remember my sister-in-law telling me that when the house is messy and she just can't deal with it that she leaves.  She escapes her duties for a bit, gives her self a short change of scenery, recharges her battery then heads home.  Once she is home she feels ready to tackle the rest of the day.

3.  Communicate with someone.  Reach out to an old friend, call a cousin, write a note to your grandma, send a text to someone you haven't talked to in a while (I literally just did this!!), the possibilities are endless.  I FaceTime my mom several times a week.  We visit about our day and laugh together for a few minutes and it's just the medicine to lift my day and give me a little boost.

4.  Watch a YouTube video or Netflix show.  This is something I love to do while I do housework.  During Christmastime, I watch Hallmark Christmas movies on YouTube.  They're super cheesy and always have the same storyline, but they are clean and for the most part, keep my interest.  I also watch shows like The Andy Griffith Show on Netflix while I work.  The important thing is to not choose something suspenseful or that requires you to keep your eyes on the screen.  You want to watch something that you can walk away from for a moment and not feel like you're lost.

5.  Go visit someone.  My sister and I do this from time to time.  We'll call each other up and say that the kids are fighting and need a change of scenery or that we need a little "sister time."  Spending a few minutes in someone else's home and watching them move through the day often gives you the motivation to go home and try again.

6.  Get ready.  Make sure you always get dressed, apply your makeup and do your hair.  Nothing slows me down like wearing pajamas and feeling sloppy.  I do feel it's easier to tackle household work before I shower and get ready for the day, but don't stay that way!  Nothing makes you want to hide out more than not looking presentable.

7.  Go somewhere with a friend.  I'm sort of a homebody and I don't really put myself out there.  But there have been times when I have agreed to go to lunch with a friend or invite a friend to meet me at the park so our kids can play and you know what?  It's always enjoyable!  Chatting with a friend is a great way to recharge.  If you're interested in making new friends listen to this podcast!

8.  Caffeine.  Not everyone will agree with me on this, but I know my Mom will!  When I am feeling sluggish or unmotivated I know it's time for a little pick me up.  My mom introduced me to Crystal Light Energy drink mixes and it's been great!  We often laugh about the things we can accomplish because of Crystal Light!  It takes me quite a while to finish 16 ounces so I have an energy boost that lasts me a few hours.

9.  Changing something up.  Move your furniture around, switch your decorations around, change your pictures out- do something (very!) simple to change your scenery.  This is not the time for big projects!  Just give yourself a little something different and pleasant to look at.

10.  Pray.  Last, but certainly not least, if you are really in a slump then pray.  Ask Heavenly Father to help you overcome your feelings and give you an opportunity to feel boosted.  He wants you to be happy!  If you ask, He will provide.

0 comments: