Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Divine Signatures


A few weeks ago in Fast and Testimony meeting a former bishop of our's mentioned a book called "Divine Signatures."  A book about miracles, coincidences (there is no such thing.  I just don't have a better word), and the tender mercies of the Lord.

He told a personal story of a time when he needed to see the hand of the Lord in his life as a way of knowing he was in the right path.  The Papermill had closed down resulting in his job loss and his wife having to go to work.  He had bought some calves hoping to raise them then turn around and sell them for a profit.  He began to question his decision to pursue that and one morning knelt on the living room floor asking the Lord to give him a "divine signature" so he could know he was on the right path.  Two days later he sold the calves for above market value and made a nice profit!

His story and the mention of the book piqued my interest.  I downloaded a copy of the book onto my Deseretbook app and although I am not a reader by nature, I dove in and started reading.  The stories shared of the miracles and tender mercies people experienced were truly inspiring!  The author shares dozen of stories throughout the book that reflect the love and care He has for us.  The author mentions again and again that He wants to bless us!

Little did I know that just a few short days later I would need my own divine signature.

Last Wednesday I learned of a concerning fact that would greatly impact my little family if it was not resolved by the middle of this week.  I was sick to my stomach!  I kept it all to myself so no one else would be worried but the burden was heavy.  I began asking Heavenly Father to send me a divine signature.  I truly wearied him with my prayers.  In the book the author tells of a time he needed something so much that he decided to fast every other day until the situation was resolved.  He only had to fast twice and his problem was solved- it actually turned out so much better than he could have ever thought!

I decided I would try the same approach.  On Thursday, Saturday and Monday I fasted.  No one knew but me.  I spent many hours on my knees praying, silently praying, pleading, putting my faith in action and hoping I wasn't foolishly looking for a miracle.  I didn't want a miracle, I wanted a divine signature of his hand in my life!

Last night I told Heavenly Father what my plan for the day was and hoped that He would send that signature when I needed it the most.  I had to face the music this morning and make a phone call to find out the news.  My hands were shaking, I could barely hold it together, I was nervous beyond words and I was afraid that the signature may not come.  I knew it wasn't because He wasn't aware of me or that he hadn't heard my prayers, but that maybe it wasn't time.  Or many because of the agency of others it wasn't meant to be.

It took all I had to dial the phone!  The phone rang, I explained the reason for my call and after (what seemed like) a long pause, the man on the other end gave me the news.  He had no idea that on the other end of the phone I was feeling very humbled and almost speechless!  Heavenly Father had heard my prayers!  He had sent that divine signature!  I could barely get off of my knees after offering the most heartfelt prayer of gratitude I have ever offered.

He is so kind.  So very very kind.

If you feel you need some proof that He is aware of you and your circumstances in your life, put this to the test.  He is waiting to bless you.

0 comments: