For 12 years I begged and pleaded for my Mom to give me just one little sister. I had four little brothers and even tried to turn them into sisters a few times. I would dress them in dresses, throw a headband on their head and doll them up with some makeup. (Remarkably, they all turned out okay. Thankfully they were too young to be scarred permanently.) After all of that, I would grab the vacuum (to be used as a microphone) and put on a fashion show. What good sports, but one thing was still missing. A little sister.
When I was 13, I finally got the little sister I had been begging for. I remember the night she was born so vividly and no joke, it changed my life. Annie became my sidekick. She went everywhere with me and did everything I did. I actually had to be very careful because she would follow my lead so closely. I hated bananas, she hated bananas. I hated egg yolks, she hated egg yolks.
I think my friends just accepted that if they invited me somewhere, then they were inviting Annie too. She went babysitting with me, she went to hang out with my friends, she went shopping with me, you get it. I seriously cried the day that my parents moved her out of my room. I was 18 years old and just couldn't stand the thought of not having her with me. We shared a daybed and although she had her own trundle, she always slept with me.
It was very important to me that when Annie started Kindergarten, I was home and not away at school or somewhere where I couldn't be a part of it. Fortunately, I got what I wanted. I had a job that was close to home so everyday during lunch I would go home and get Annie dressed and ready to go before heading back.
Annie is now 14 years old and is still the same sweet little sister. We still have lots of fun and laughs. I am constantly impressed with her and her abilities. She is so creative, a great friend, super organized, a neat freak, a wonderful Aunt, a great driver (oops! Did I say that?), and good girl with good values and so much more.
Have you ever thought about what it would be like if there were no more kids in your family after you? (For those of us who aren't the youngest.) I sure have and I am sure that if my parents had stopped at 8 and not finished our family with the last two, we would be missing something great.
I just had to add this picture I found that Annie had drawn for me. It made me smile when I realized that this was just like something Addie would do for me. It must mean that Annie was about 5 or 6.






4 comments:
She is so beautiful! And the pictures do look professional! I can't believe Annie is 14!
How sweet I always wanted a little sister too but I never got one. I think she looks a lot like you. Your pictures are amazing you did great.
What a sweet post. Great job on the pictures. But I have to say, the last one (the drawing) takes the cake. SO CUTE!
Thanks Kobie! You are such an awesome sister,we have had so many great times together that they are countless. You really made my day!
Post a Comment