This afternoon we took our girls to watch a calf be born. It was really cool to watch nature in action but to be honest it make me think. Let me just say this- I'm thankful I am not a cow. As neat as it was and as good of a teaching opportunity as it was, I am grateful to be a human. For a few reasons.
Numero Uno: I'm not down with licking my newborn. I'll save that job for the cows.

Numero Dos: I like my babies to stay put and not start walking 20 minutes after they are born.
And Tres: I'll take a 7 lb. baby over a 60+ lb. calf ANY DAY! (I'll spare you that picture!)
And Tres: I'll take a 7 lb. baby over a 60+ lb. calf ANY DAY! (I'll spare you that picture!)After we got home Addie had a lot of questions. She is still too young for a lot of details but it really piqued her curiosity. She wanted to know why the cow had a "bag" and she noticed that it took a lot of work for the calf to be born. I wanted to teach her that having a baby is a really neat thing and not gross at all.
Even though it was a "just" a cow, it was neat to watch as nature took charge and that calf came into the world.
2 comments:
That's really neat! I know that my boys had fun watching my parent's calf being born. What an experience! You're a real cowgirl now! :)
I totally get this post. I remember when I was in 6th grade our cat had babies and I was home alone. I often think to myself how grateful I am to be human too and not a cat. EWWW.
Post a Comment