Monday, August 28, 2017

Microblading

I recently had my eyebrows microbladed and experienced a lot of things I wish I had known beforehand.  For fun, I thought I would share my experience and the things I wish I would have known.

First of all, I lucked out and found a gal who knows brows!  Just because someone has been "trained" or "certified" does not make them good at their job!  Most girls will have an Instagram or Facebook page featuring their work. I followed Cordae's work for quite a while. I studied her pictures and examined the different styles of brows.

It's also very important to talk!  Ask around, talk to multiple people who can share their experience with the person you are considering.   And ask lots of questions. Ask things like: how much time they spent consulting, if they make suggestions and have ideas, how long the whole procedure will take, etc. Now that I'm past the procedure and have learned a few things, I would say the most important thing to ask is if they use the soft tap method. Basically, this involved breaking the skin (which hurts, burn it's quick and worth it!) so that when the numbing cream is applied it can get under the skin. Not everyone uses this technique but I would HIGHLY recommend finding someone who does.

Next, I would suggest arriving with your eyebrows filled in so the technician can have an idea of your style. (Unless you are looking for something totally different from your normal style.)  I showed up looking like do everyday and expressed my desire to keep it simple and natural. Cordae knew just what I wanted and was able to improve on it.

The actual procedure itself is painless if soft tapping is used. Once the numbing agent begins to wear off, you begin to feel it but it's not bad. It feels like paper cuts- not terribly painful, mostly uncomfortable.  And, no blood is involved.  It sounded to me like hairs being quickly plucked out in big chunks. A funny way to explain it, I know!

The actual microblading procedure took about one hour. Each brow is gone over about three or four times and pigment is rubbed over the whole brow after each pass.

Once you're finished and the technician hands you the mirror, remind yourself that things are going to appear much more dramatic than what the final look will be!  I almost fell over because my brows were so dark and bold.



Another bit of advice would be to schedule your appointment about five days before you have to be anywhere ;) I did mine on a Saturday and had to be somewhere immediately after I was done. I had to convince myself to keep that appointment but wanted to cry because I was so embarrassed. I wondered what I had done!  Later in the evening they were quite sensitive to touch.  I spent time in the bathroom that night trying to figure out how I could lighten them up and tone them down.

The next day I wore my glasses to church in hopes that they would help camouflage my brows. It helped but they were still thick and dark.



It was the same story on Monday.



By Tuesday I began to notice the lightening up a bit. However scabs were forming so they continued to look very full- almost bushy.



Wednesday was the turning point. It was the peak for scabbing so I gently brushed a spooli through them to remove any loose scabs. This seemed to help a lot!  The skin was quite red but my brows were much lighter by this time.  The scabs were falling off as well so I was able to get a good idea of the final look. Because the scabs were flaking off they were rather itchy. Instead of vigorously running my nails through them, which is forbidden, I would firmly press my nails into the itchy area and that would relieve the sensation.


I continued to see progress on Thursday.



It has now been six days. One more until I can get them wet (okay, I cheated and washed them tonight. I figured it was only 12 hours early!) and I don't have to baby them so much.  I'll go for a touchup in a few weeks. Overall I'm thrilled will them and am happy I did it.

For some reason my brows look uneven in all pictures!  I promise they are the same shape in person  :)