Monday, August 21, 2017

slow down

I hate being late so I'm generally always in a hurry. This rolls over into most aspects of my life; I fidget, I get nervous, I drive fast too often, I rush through tasks and I'm inpatient- especially when I have to wait on other people.  When it comes to being somewhere at an appointed time my motto is, five minutes early is ten minutes late!

I had to laugh at myself two weeks ago when my "punctuality"backfired.  I was headed to the temple for the 10:30 session.  I rushed myself out the door, drove too fast to Briana's to drop off Colton then to the temple, practically ran up the stairs in the parking lot and finally entered the temple doors at 10:10.  I was so frazzled!  I hurried upstairs after showing my recommend and when I turned the corner towards the dressing room noticed that the door to the ordinance room was shut.

I entered the dressing room and the lady assigned me a locker.  The dressing room was empty!  I was puzzled!  I finally asked a worker what time the session was.  It was at 11:00.  I had a whole 45 minutes to wait!  But, if you have to wait, what better place than in the temple, right?  It worked out great, I ended up doing some initiatory and having some quiet time to think.

Last week while at the temple I learned a good lesson form a sweet worker.  I wasn't running late but I was in a hurry, like I always am.  I was at the recommend desk and couldn't find my recommend.  I was fumbling through my bag when one of the men said in the sweetest tone, "now don't hurry."

He was right!  Why do I always hurry?  Why do I always feel like I might be late for something?  His simple phrase reminded me of two things: first of all, I was in the temple.  Time doesn't matter when you're in the House of the Lord.  And second, I need to take time to enjoy the journey of getting to point a and point b more often.  Whether that is driving, completing a task, traveling a long distance or just enjoying a moment with my kids.

Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinkely

0 comments: