Thursday, August 31, 2017

Women I Pattern Myself After

Jared often teases me that I am a feminist.  I love good women!  I love the power they have, the work they do, their drive, their intentions, I love it all!

As I sat in the temple this morning I thought about some of the good women in my life.  I thought about how they mother their children and the ways I try to pattern my mothering after theirs.  I am lucky enough to have so many wonderful women in my life!  It would be impossible to name every one of them but I thought I should record a few of them anyway.

Gloria Greer-  What a woman!  I had three Young Women presidents during my time in Young Women.  They were all fantastic and exactly what I needed, but overall Gloria's influence still carries on today.  Gloria was about 55 years old when my dad (who was the bishop at the time) called her to be the Young Women president.  That is no easy feat for a woman of any age, let alone her's!  I remember my dad telling me that when he called her she said she felt too old but agreed to do it on one condition- that her daughter Tammy be her first counselor.  What a powerful pair!

If I can say one thing about Gloria it's that I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that she loved me.  She showed it in the big and little ways.  She was a mother and grandmother to all of us girls.  She took care of our every need and did things to reach out that normal leaders may not think of.  When it was my birthday she went all out!  I didn't get a small generic gift that was given to every girl.  No, I got a large gift bag full to the brim with thoughtful gifts and trinkets (all from Walgreens, I am sure!  That is her favorite store!).  And when I graduated from High School she again gifted me.  I still have a photo album she gave me from that.

The most important gift she gave me was the white envelope used for my Temple clothes.  I adore that little thing.  It doesn't shut well and and it's a little too big for my clothes to lay nicely, but I just can't part with it.  Every time I hold it I feel I have a a little piece of Gloria with me.

Erin- Man, I love this girl!  Erin moved in down the street from me about eight years ago.  I tried to reach out and become her friend but it took a few years to get there.  I am sure it was divine intervention that led us to serve on the school PTSO together.  That experience drew us together and bonded us.  Erin is an exceptional mother.  She gives 110% to her two girls.  She is so kind, she intently listens to their every word, she is so patient with them, she cares from places in the heart that I didn't know existed.  Erin had a traumatic childhood and she makes up for it in her girls.  I admire her in every way.

Tara- My sister in law Tara is so great.  Her kids are older than mine so I watched her raise them.  I admired so much of what she did that I patterned much of my mothering after her.  I remember when Addie was still an infant and I confessed to Tara that I didn't know how clothing sizes worked for toddlers and youth.  As we sat in the parking lot of Old Navy she broke the whole thing down for me.  I see so much of myself in her and hope I can set a good example for one of my sisters or sisters in law.

Briana- Another sister in law!  Briana has so many admirable qualities.  With a houseful of kids and people going so many different directions, she never seems to let it wear on her (although I'm sure it does.).  She always has and makes time for herself and fun things and projects.  She never seems flustered with her kids when there is crying and messes.  I've tried to adopt her "let it go" attitude.  It's hard for me, but watching her do it so well gives me hope that I'll get there someday.

My own mom- I once saw a quote on Pinterest that said, "Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out."  Man, that couldn't be more true for me!  Without intentionally copycatting her, I find myself turning into my mom more and more everyday.  The thing I hope to copy the most is being a friend to my kids.  My mom was always a true friend to me growing up- especially  in my teenage years.  When I was in Nauvoo she would send me cards multiple times a week.  They were usually funny and just to say she was thinking of me.  I still have every one of those cards.  She was (and still is!) so good about giving you her full attention anytime you ask for a moment of her time.  She laughs with you, she remembers important things and she is all in when you need her.

Although I adore each of these women, I have to remind myself that I don't have to be exactly like any one of them.  I just need to combine the best qualities from each of them and be the best version of myself I can be.

0 comments: