Sunday, August 20, 2017

whatever it takes

I have been apprehensive about who Kimber's fifth grade teacher would be since the end of last year.  She thrives with a good teacher (which she has always had!) and is an excellent student.  Last year she had straight A+'s all year!  She was one of the few students who made the Superintendent's List for that accomplishment!  Who knew there was something better than Principal's List?

After the events of the summer and helping Kimber work through some struggles I felt strongly that she would need to be assigned to a good fifth grade teacher- which wasn't any of the current ones.  I called the principal during the summer and forced (no, I'm serious!) her to tell me who Kimber had been assigned to.  Just my luck- it was my least favorite option.  I discussed my concerns with her and told her I would have to think about things and would let her know if I would request a change.  The principal didn't like the idea of making change, but who can blame her.  I was firm in my opinions and so was she.

I felt like I needed to give Ms. Thatcher a try but I continued to have concerns.  I can't really explain it more than I just felt "unsettled" with things.  I attended parent night hoping I would feel better after seeing her in action yet I felt so "blah."  Certainly she is a good person but didn't feel like she was a match for Kimber.  I don't think I have ever prayed so hard about my kids and school!

The first day of school came and went.  Things were going okay for Kimber.  Not only were all of her friends were in her class but they all sat in the same group!  She would occasionally come home with some type of complaint about Ms. Thatcher but nothing too serious- except that she was a yeller which really bothered Kimber.  Personally, I felt like Ms. Thatcher's approach to teaching (the whole gamut!  Reward system, discipline, homework, etc) was pretty sloppy.  That is what bothered me the most!

After having a long talk with Kimber about the yelling on Thursday evening and how that was effecting her, I decided I better make a decision as to whether or not I would leave Kimber in that class.  I didn't want her to get too much further into the year then make a switch.  I prayed about it that night and felt like a switch needed to be made, and I knew which teacher she needed, Mrs. Pitts.  I felt confident in my decision until I talked to Jared.  He sort of persuaded me to not switch and he had very valid reasons!  I then decided I would give it one more week then reevaluate things.

The next day it weighed heavy on my mind.  My visiting teachers came over and we talked about it.  One of them actually has a son in the same class and she shared my same concerns.  The other partner happens to be taking education classes and is writing a paper on parent involvement in schools.  She said that if I didn't feel comfortable with the teacher, I needed to get involved and do something about it!  After they left the spirit really moved me!  And by moved, I mean that almost literally!  I felt like it was pushing me out the door!  I suddenly felt overcome by the feeling that I needed to have Kimber switched, and now!  Within a few minutes I was in the car and headed towards the school- unannounced.

I tracked the principal down and asked to speak with her.  I told her why I was there and expressed my desire to have Kimber moved to another class.  She wasn't happy, but I was there for Kimber, not for her.  She said, "well, I can have her moved to Mrs. Pitts but you have to know that she has never been in a classroom.  She is coming from the work field, she is taking education classes, she has kids, she has a lot going on."  I think she was trying to scare me so I took her by surprise when i said, "I feel like she needs to be in Mrs. Pitts class!  That is exactly where I want her!"  Mrs. Pitts is an engineer and has never been a teacher. The principal seems leery of her but I'm not worried!  

We talked about all the ins and outs.  She was sure to tell me that it could cause problems for her because other parents could request a switch but I didn't care!  Again, I was there for Kimber and to make sure she get what she needs.  I could care less about what helps the school out!  Isn't that why she gets paid the big bucks? :)

I had done all of this without Kimber knowing.  I thought about the fact that I was taking her from her friends and how much she hates change.  I thought about how hard it would be for her to be the "new kid" and how she hates to be noticed.  

I also thought about how I have felt like she was needed by a new friend, or a new friend needed her. I thought about how well she does when she has the right teacher.  I thought about how good I felt about Mrs. Pitts when I saw her for the first time, even if it was for less than one second.

As soon as the switch was finalized, I instantly felt peace.  I knew I had done the right thing.  And I also witnessed the tender mercies that immediately followed.  A new girl to the school will be starting on Monday in the very same class!  Not only will Kimber not be the only new kid, but she already knows the ropes of the school. And as the principal went down the list of girls in the class I felt so good about it!  These are the girls Kimber needs to be with!

Later that day I told Kimber what I had done.  It didn't go over well for all the reasons I was afraid of for her.  But it didn't take long and the same sense of peace came to her too.  

She starts tomorrow.  I'm nervous for her but I know it won't take long to overcome that.  I'm sure of that because I know Heavenly Father had a hand in this.

0 comments: