It's also really fun to have your kids be the "kids of the ward." I love that Brother Garth Greer always calls Colton, Mac. Everyone in the ward watches them grow and pays attention to their needs. People are so kind to offer help during church as well as all week long.
A few stories on that matter.
Jared has been sitting on the stand since Kimber was four months old so I've always been a solo circus act during church. And people have always always always been helpful. But, once he was made Bishop, the Prestwich's made it their personal mission to sit behind us in church to lend a helping hand. They would hurry to church to get the pew behind me. Steve would hand his watch or keys up to keep Lucy occupied and Sue would hold Colton when he was tiny. When a new couple in our ward moved in and wasn't familiar with the ward's unspoken seating assignments, Steve nicely hinted for them to find a new spot. Which they did.
On the day Jared was called, many ward members offered their assistance if I ever needed it but one offer stands out. Brother Lee Timiney cornered me and said, "if you ever need anything let me know. I will mow your grass if you need it. I'm serious." The 'I'm serious' struck me. He wasn't just being nice. He would be happy to help!
My favorite story of service is about Brother Harrold Meservey. How I love that man! Summertime was killer for our family. Colton was little, Jared was slammed with work and we were running around like chicken's with our heads cut off. A lot of things were falling by the wayside but not all of then were noticeable. Except for our lawn. It was really long and quite embarrassing. I couldn't find the time to get it done and Jared, quite frankly, didn't have the time. Brother Meservy, however did have the time. He stopped me in the hallway of church one day and offered to come cut it. I told him we would get it it done soon, but thanks anyway. Well, a few more days passed and we still hadn't got around to it. One afternoon the phone rang and it was Harold. He is from Maine and still has an accent. (He talks super fast so read the following quote as fast as you can.) "Hey Sister Hatch, Harold Meservy here. I see your grass is pretty long. I can come mow your grass. Will you let me come mow? I'd be happy to." Honestly, I was way too embarrassed to let him use our old run down lawn mower, so I told him I would be doing very soon. I think i finally got around to it two or three days later.
It's also fun to see people connect Jared with the poor single mom who drags her kids to church all alone. Of course, most people know me, but today I got a good laugh from a lady whom I've never personally met. Last week Delores Flemming and her husband Arnold stole the Prestwhich's seat. Gasp! :) I chatted and chatted with her until the meeting started. I heard all about her kids, grandkids, great grandkids, where she came from, etc. That evening Jared went over to her house to help plan her funeral. She is a little older and wants to be prepared. Today she again sat behind me. She said, "your kids look a lot like you. Do they favor you? I've never seen your husband so I don't know if they look like him." I replied. "actually, my husband is the bishop." I've never seen a light bulb go off in someone's head like that! She quickly stuck our her hand to to formally introduce herself to me. I got a good laugh out of it.
It's also helped us create really great friendships with people. Jared has become very close with his counselors. They are so good to him and have shown that they are true friends. Joey is Jared's right hand man. Bryce's job limits him during the day, but Joey is always right there when Jared needs him. He is self employed and a little more flexible.
I truly love their wives as well. Bryce's wife, Anne, has three little girls that she has all to herself during church. She is a trooper! I know the way she feels all too well. And Joey's wife, Riann, is one of my greatest friends. I've always admired her but now that I see a little more clearly what great people they are, I love them even more.
As I said before, this experience will forever change our lives. I am so thankful for the opportunity to be thankful for my problems (because others struggle much more than I do), my testimony to grow and my kids to see that service is a blessing, not a burden. I pray constantly that I will be able to offer the support that Jared needs. I want him to know that I have things under control at home and that we are staying on track while he is away.
This season of our lives does not come without it's challenges. I just choose not to dwell on them. I find comfort in this quote from L. Tom Perry, "You are carefully evaluated before your husband is approached to be called as a bishop, to determine the type of support you will give to him. We assure you that his role as bishop is secondary to his eternal callings as husband and father. In order for him to be successful, you must sustain him completely. We know this puts added burdens on you. You run a telephone answering service and a mailroom, act as a receptionist, and have to fill in at home when he is called out on emergencies. Often, just by being there, you are exposed to confidential information, which you must keep within yourself and never discuss with anyone. Nothing would destroy the credibility of a bishop more than having his companion reveal confidential information she happened to overhear or see pertaining to ward business.
You have the obligation, along with your husband, of being a role model for the young people and the young married couples of the ward. Yours should be an ideal marriage—one they are striving to emulate by following your example. Your contribution is deeply appreciated and understood. Nothing can relieve the anxiety and load of being a bishop quite like the aid of a supportive companion."
0 comments:
Post a Comment