I met Raygon in 2001 when we were both working at Anasazi. We were friends, but not close. I always looked up to her for her optimistic attitude and fun loving spirit. Once she invited me to get a pedicure with her. I felt like such a dork! She was much cooler and I was just the shrimpy secretary. But, it was fun! Another time she gave me a bottle of Victoria's Secret Love Spell lotion. The scent was new and the everyone was wearing it. I felt so awesome to own my own bottle! Another time I spent a weekend night with her and another co-worker, Chad, filling baggies of powdered cheese and stuff for the young walkers at work. We watched Rat Race while we packed for hours.
Eventually, Raygon left Anasazi. I'd never have the guts to tell her then, but it was such a sad day for me. I always loved her peppy voice and the good light she brought into work everyday. Work just wasn't the same without her. Time passed and we went out separate ways. I remember running into her at the mall once when she was pregnant with Kaleb and I was just about to have Addie. We chatted for a few minutes and once again, went out separate ways.
Somehow through the world of blogging, we found each in 2007 or so. She had moved to Idaho and I was able to get small glimpses into the life of a gal I had always admired. Eventually, we started emailing about this and that and our friendship started to progress. One day I had a nasty experience that was quite embarrassing and I had no one to tell. I decided I had nothing to lose by telling Raygon so I dumped it all on her. She replied with such nice words and put things into perspective for me.
Over time, we would reach out to each other for recipes, tips or advice and (at least in my opinion) became close friends. She is like a sister, in that I know I can tell her what's really on my mind and she will never pass judgment and always be honest with her opinion in return. It's been a fun transformation of friendship. Now we send (almost) daily texts and keep a good connection.
After years of saying I would come for a visit, I finally had the chance! The price of tickets was cheap and for once in my life, the stars were aligned so I could leave my kids for the weekend.
Colton was my travel buddy.
I finally got to meet the Hymas kids!
We celebrated Halloween
(I sent this picture to Jared back in AZ and got busted! He said this was too girly of a costume. Oops!)
I even got to spend some time with Judd and Caitlin who are living there. Although these pictures don't prove that. Judd was just the man behind the camera, that's all.
One thing I love about being in other people's homes is watching the family function. It's always interesting to see how they tick. I learned a lot from Raygon and her family and I've tried to incorporate some of that into my family life.
One thing I am not good at, but Raygon is, is accepting help. During my first night there, she was buzzing around working so I offered to mop her floor. She said sure! I never accept help that easily but saw that it really is nice and makes life so much easier. I needed that lesson!
She also didn't stress about keeping her home totally tidy for company. Of course, I wasn't expecting a clean house, or even a picked up house. A family lives there! And I totally loved that she knew that! I usually stress and freak out when company comes. It was so nice to see a mom just go with it. Her house was so warm and welcoming. And clean!
I'm not good at keeping my kids artwork. I usually throw it out shortly after they walk away from the table. It generally results in tears when they come looking for it the next day. Raygon had the best resolution to my problem. And easy one that I can't believe I didn't think of sooner: display that artwork around the house! Hello! Our laundry room door is now the designated art display.
I hope everyone finds a friend like Raygon.





0 comments:
Post a Comment