Wednesday, January 28, 2015
A Disciple of Christ
In my Patriarchal Blessing it tells me that if I will faithfully take my family to church, then no thought of apostasy will enter our minds. That has always stood out to me and actually kind of bothered me. I always thought "I'll never apostatize! And of course I will always take my family to church!"
But times are changing and people I once admired for their devotion to the church are turning their backs on it. People are causing a ruckus about everything concerning the church these days; the women and the priesthood, polygamy, gays not being sealed in the temple, temple ordinances, etc. The internet is flooded with good people using it as a platform to share their beliefs, but it is equally flooded with people attempting to tear down the church and desecrate it's sacred nature. It's happening in our little community as well. Good people over analyzing simple gospel principles thus falling further and further away from what once made them who they are.
Because of the rapid rate at which the church is being scrutinized, it's made me reflect heavily on the words in my patriarchal blessing. It's made me realize that I must be firm in my testimony and my convictions. I must live what I know to be true all the way! The church is everything to me. It's why I married the man I did, it's how I can do what I do as a mother, it's why I don't question where I came from or what happens when I die, it's what motivates me to help others, it's the reason I have joy, it's why I try, it's why I love.
I hope I live my life in a way that shows others I am trying my hardest to be a disciple of Christ. I want to follow his teachings in everything I do, I want to be everything he wants me to be and I want my words and actions to show him that I am trying. President James E. Faust said, "One of the greatest blessings of life and eternity is to be counted as one of the devoted disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ." And that is what I am striving for, to be a devoted disciple.
I've decided that if I can get my family to church during the hardest years when they are young and I do it alone, then I will never quit going when things get easy. So no need to worry about me turning my back on the church! I promise to be the stalwart one when everyone else is faltering. I promise to be the one whose testimony you can hold on to when your's is weak. I promise to be the one who holds to the rod when the great and spacious building is bigger and louder than ever. I will not budge.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment