Monday, September 20, 2010
Our New Favorites
Like most kids, my girls love to read. We spend lots of time reading their collection of books (I have banned our town library because of their Nazi guidelines. Plus, I think they just hate me in particular.) and even picked out a few new ones at the Book Fair last week. Walking into that library and seeing the rows and rows of Scholastic books was like a trip down memory lane.
While we were there I saw a Junie B. Jones book. My little sister Annie used to read them and even had quit a collection so I knew they must be decent reading. I've wanted to start chapter books with Addie but hadn't found the right ones. Since I'm not a reader myself I knew what ever we read had to be something that would interest me as well. Seeing that book made the light bulb in my head go off. I quickly sent a text to my Mom and asked her to bring a few with her when she came for a visit over the weekend.
The next day she handed us this pile-
And recommenced two that we should start with. Saturday night Addie and I laid in her bed to read a few chapters. Before we knew it we found ourselves halfway through the book and laughing.
We started with Junie B. Jones is a Beauty Shop Guy. In this book Junie visits the beauty salon with her dad so he can get a haircut. She decides she can be a "beauty shop guy" and after her parents tell her no way, she comes up with a sneaky plan. She tells her parents she is going to take a nap and heads to her bedroom. This is Addie's favorite part of the book:
"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on there a second," said Mother. "I thought you hated naps."
"I do," I said. "I do hate naps. But today I worked at the beauty shop. And that job got me all pooped out, I tell you."
After that, I closed my door. And I got under my covers.
Mother peeked in at me.
I did a fake snore.
Then I waited and waited till she closed the door again.
I stayed in bed till it was safe
Then finally, I tippytoed to my desk.
And I opened the top drawer real quiet.
I searched my hands all around that thing.
Then all of the sudden my heart got very pumpy!
'Cause my hands felt what they were looking for!
And their name is my bestest shiny scissors!
Last night we started another book and couldn't believe how similar Addie and Junie are. They are both in afternoon kindergarten, ride the bus to school, love hamburgers and spaghetti and meatballs and much more. While we were talking about all of the comparisons Addie was quick to say "except I don't get into trouble."
Maybe she doesn't get into trouble, but that Junie B. is giving Addie ideas. After she left for school today I saw this on the couch. This is not a setup. This is exactly how I found it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
I LOVE the Junie B. Jones books! I used to read them to my students all the time when I was teaching. We even got one of her books on CD from Wendy's (ages ago) and Brooklyn and Emma love to listen to it in the car.
And PS - I hate that Nazi library too. I may have only lived there for 3 months, but that was long enough for me to grow an opinion of them!
PPS - your picture of the books looks great! Nice exposure!
Ha Ha Ha! Bethie and I love Junie B., too!
Beside the fact that the doll and scissors look like they are from the "scary stories in the dark" book that is hilarious.
I'm so glad that you are liking Junie B.They are super cute and fun books. Haha and I love the doll and scissors. Just be thankful that it wasn't her real hair!
I would love to hear more about the library....sounds interesting.
And just when I thought we have read every chapter book available, we are going to have to pick up a few of these at the library. I bet my boys will like them.
Great picture.
How great that you got all those old books. looks like they have been well loved.
Thanks for the invite to your blog! I want to hear more about the library too. My 2nd graders likes the Junie B. books too, and she also likes the Magic Treehouse series. Maybe they'll have them at your school library?
Post a Comment