Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I may have shed a little tear today

All because this girl is old enough to start Kindergarten.
Each time I am holding Lucy and look at Addie I realize how fast time goes.  It seems like just yesterday Addie was the baby in my arms.  Now she's off to school.

For weeks she has been counting down the days to Kindergarten.  (And I mean that literally.)  She has had her first day of school outfit picked out for about two weeks.  She also swears her shoes make her run faster and jump faster.  (Monica, I know EXACTLY what you're thinking!  PF Flyers!)   

This morning she could hardly stand it.  I made her pancakes for breakfast and by 9:30 she was already asking if she could eat lunch.  Time just couldn't go fast enough for her.  

When it was time to go out for the bus I was more nervous than she was.  You see, riding the bus was all her idea, one I was not crazy about.  All last school year she watched as a bus passed our house dropping off the morning Kindergartners.  I guess it looked fun.  When she told me she wanted to ride I just about died.  We finally compromised and she gets to ride to school since there are no big kids and they will pick her up right at my driveway then I will pick her up everyday.

Last night the thought of her riding the bus just about made me cry.  I'm not someone who ever has a hard time falling asleep.  My head hits the pillow and I'm out, but last night was different.  Every time I closed my eyes all I could see was Addie getting on the bus and looking out the window at me while I wave bye and she suddenly bursts into tears while some strange driver takes her away. 

Thankfully the driver was running extremely late so I just took her.  It made me feel so much better and now that the first day is over I feel much more comfortable with her feeling confident in riding the bus.  Although I don't think she was the one with the problem.

Once we dropped her off and walked out of the classroom I noticed Kimber hide behind me and slump over.  She had great big crocodile tears streaming down her face.  When I asked her what the problem was she told me she didn't want to leave Addie.  It broke my heart.  They are best friends and are separated for the first time in their lives.  Even if it is for just a few hours a day.

When I picked Addie up from school she was glowing.  When I asked her how it was she said "good, but I didn't learn how to read today."  

This is just the beginning.

7 comments:

Newman Family said...

Those girls are just too sweet!! They look so big. I can't believe your Addie and my Grant are kindergartners!

Heather Evans said...

Addie always cracks me up with how grown up she is. Yesterday after I talked to her about her first day she informed me that she doesn't have her own desk but she likes her teacher. She is so much like you its scary!

Ashby said...

Emma has had a harder time adjusting this year than last. Being separated is so hard. Addie looks so cute! I'm so excited for her. What a big year!

Yvette said...

Just wait it gets easier, I promise

RPH said...

So cute "I didnt learn how to read"...what a cute girl!

Anonymous said...

Addie looks so cute with her little backpack on! I seriously can't believe she's in Kindergarten! Time goes by too fast.

The Varo's said...

were you with me one time when i was at walmart and actually found a pair of shoes that were PF Flyers brand? why didn't i buy them?

i can't believe she is in school. that scares me, a lot. like a lot, a lot because i know that soon enough my babies will be in school. and the bus deal scares me too. good thing laie is so small they don't even have busses, everyone walks to school.