Friday, August 13, 2010

(This actually happened on the 18th of July but I never got around to finishing it.)

On Sunday Addie starting questioning me about getting struck by lightning.  A friend had told her that she was scared her dad was going to get hit.  I downplayed it so that we didn't have a girl who was freaked every time a storm rolled in.  I told her that if you are out in the forest during a storm and there are no trees or anything around, then you might get struck.  I explained that the chances of her or our house getting struck or were slim to none.  "You would have to be around something metal to get hit, the chances of you getting struck are not good." 

If I could only have fast forwarded a hour or two.

Jared was just leaving for a meeting when a huge storm rolled in.  It was getting dark outside and I wanted to show the girls that there was nothing to be afraid of so we opened our curtains and watched as the rain came down and the lightning lite up the sky.  It wasn't long before we lost power and the storm was right over us.  The lightning and thunder were simultaneous and the girls were getting a little apprehensive but I was able to keep them calm.  

That was until there was a gigantic strike, with a simultaneous thunder and a huge pop in our fireplace!  We all jumped and screamed.  I told them that I thought we had just got hit and instantly smelled for smoke. I tried to stay calm and decided I needed to ask Jared to come home. I knew that someone needed to check and see if our house was on fire but I'll admit I was too scared to go outside and see for myself.  I needed to be sure that flames weren't pouring out of the attic.

I was able to get a hold of someone at the meeting and have them send Jared home.  Of course he rushed home in a panic.  Once he got home I knew we were safe because it took him forever.  The building he was at for the meeting had no power so they had to search him out in the dark, thus the delay.

Thankfully our house was spared and thankfully our TV wasn't.  Our gorgeous (cough, cough) big scream was a victim of the strike and has since been replaced with a plasma.  Our satellite was fried as well but has been replaced as well.

While we were waiting for Jared to get home I took the girls in their room and had the following conversation with Kimber:

"Is Dad going to get the lighting?"

"No, you can touch lighting."

"Why?  Because he's a race car?"

3 comments:

Newman Family said...

Scary! A house down the street from us was stuck and started the roof on fire. Glad you guys are safe.

The Varo's said...

scary stuff kobie!

Ashley said...

That's crazy! Didn't grandma Stanford's house get struck by lightening once or twice?? I can't remember.