The dear people at Playboy magazine have invited us to subscribe a number of times. Although I appreciate their efforts (NOT!) I hate getting their offers in the mail. I'm tired of it!
The other day I got the mail and much to my dismay there was one of those lovely offers. Some one bought our name from some one who doesn't care and thus we get these obscene offers in the mail. I had had enough! If you know me well, you may know that I have sort of made a habit out of writing companies and telling them how I feel about them, good and bad. Well, I decided that Playboy needed to hear from me (yeah, I know it's not really them that is going to get my letter, but some one will!). I rushed home and with all the anger I had inside of me I wrote them a letter demanding our name be removed from their mailing list. And I also had to throw in the threat that if I continue to receive them further legal action will be taken, a good threat but really, I would never sue anyone.
Here is the letter:
To Whom It May Concern:
I demand my name and address be removed from your mailing list immediately. Your offers to subscribe to Playboy magazine are extremely offensive to me and my family. As parents, we try everything we can to protect our children from the material you produce. It is addictive and damaging.
If these offers continue further legal action will be taken. I feel harassed each time I go to the mailbox and find a postcard with a nearly naked woman in seductive positions. This is not something I, nor my family wants to be a part of.
A letter of apology would be nice because I feel harassed, but I know Playboy does not have that much integrity.
Sincerely,
Kobie Hatch
(It's kind of silly, but I really want the person that is going to read it to understand that pornography is not okay with everyone, just because it is accepted by so many. Maybe, just maybe it will make a difference to someone.)
I decided to send it certifited mail so that I was sure they got it so I went back to the post office that day. When I told the woman how I wanted the letter sent, she looked down and saw who it was addressed to. We talked about why I was sending it and she said "you haven't filled out that form?" Form? What form? I was all over that!
She gave me this form and explained how to fill it out. She then told me that they would send the form along with the letter I had written to the company and all offers should stop forever! Victory!
Anyway, I write this post because this may have happened to you or it may happen in the future and everyone needs to know that there is something we can do. We my not be able to control the internet but at least we can control what comes to us in the mail.
2 comments:
oh kobie! you are so fiesty! i love that you really wrote a letter! although it is nothing compared to playboy, i get harpers bazzar every month. they whole magazine filled with half naked people. it makes me crazy! i go strait from the mail box to the garbage can. you are right, there is too much filth! i am going to fill out the form you attatched. thanks! you rock! let us know if hu hefner sends you a dozen roses in the form of an appology! :)
Way to go Kobie you tell those nasty,sleazy people. I loved your letter and your desire to be heard. I am with you I hope that who ever gets your letter feel bad and thinks twice.
Post a Comment