Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Tumbling

I'm really not into extra curricular activities.  My mom wasn't big on them, probably because having 10 kids doing something would make her go insane.  A few of us took piano lessons and some of us got played a year or two of sports, but other than that our extra curricular activities consisted of after school adventures outside with friends or siblings.  I actually liked it and always wanted to be home, not spending time with a strange coach and rowdy teammates.

Jared on the other hand was very involved in sports and clubs.  He played baseball, football and basketball.  Baseball was part of his life from childhood until high school.  He was also a part of 4H (he has a soft spot for 4H members.  If you ever need to sell something, hit him up.  He's a giant sucker for you club!)

My girls "get" to play baseball every spring and added tumbling in this year.  I signed all three girls up and figured it was a good chance for them to learn to do some cartwheels.  Lucy went at 9am on wednesday's and the other girls went later in the afternoon the same day.  Unfortunately, the tumbling teacher lives almost 15 minutes away and their classes coincided with Colton's nap.  It got to the point that I was dreading Wednesday and Colton was always sacrificing his sleep, all in the name of summersaults.

In January I decided to pull Lucy out.  Best decision ever!  At this point I feel like I am barely holding on in order to get through the end of the tumbling classes in May.  Between tumbling and baseball (which starts in a few weeks) I have once again come to the conclusion that I'm just not a great soccer mom!

I was also skeptical about how structured their time in tumbling was.  They were coming home with new moves every week but I was always curious to know if they were playing or learning.

For weeks Addie begged me to stay and watch for a while so February I finally appeased her.  And I'm glad I did!  I gained a whole new perspective.  It is totally structured and legitimate!

I don't think I'll be enrolling them again, they'll have to sacrifice this one for me, but they've worked hard and are way more agile and coordinated that I can ever hope to be.



I'm proud of both of the girls.  Kimber wanted to master the headstand so badly and after lots and lots of practice and determination, she got it!

And Addie worked and worked at her cartwheels.  She wanted them to be exactly perfect.  She even dislocated her toe one night while working on them.  It was a wonderful day when she finally landed one perfectly.

0 comments: