Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Helicopter Mom

I'm a helicopter mom.  I hover over my kids trying to protect them from any harm.  When they go outside to play, I go outside with them.  When they go to play in Uncle Marion's backyard, I'm right there.

I realized how badly I hover when Addie and Kimber asked if they could ride their bikes to the cemetery alone.  I about died inside!  I agreed and sent them off but quickly told Jared to get in his truck and follow them.  I'm sure they were disappointed when they heard the rumble of this diesel creep up behind them.

Since I realized this, I've tried to ease up and let them experience childhood without being hovered over.  I've sent them on bike rides to the cemetery many times now and even let them ride the bike, along the Main Street sidewalk, a few times.  Addie's confidence has skyrocketed and she has loved her newfound independence.

A few weeks ago the girls needed a break so I sent them off on a picnic to the museum around the corner.  You would have thought I announced we were headed to Disneyland for the rest of their lives.

I did hover just a tad so I could check up on them for a quick second.










0 comments: