Tuesday, October 1, 2013

It's a boy

Let's go back to May.  I was due for my 20 week ultrasound and for the first time, I thought I might actually want to know the gender of our baby.  On our drive back from Disneyland I went back and forth and weighed all the pros and cons of knowing.  I'm sure it drove Jared crazy. 

The next morning I had an appointment and knew I would have to let them know my decision but for the life of my could not decide.  I was still debating up until the minute I laid back for the the ultrasound.  I told the tech I wasn't sure and she said she would let me know when she was in that "area" so I could tell her if I wanted to know.  Our little peanut took care of it for me when she placed the wand of my belly and the first thing I saw was this-


That booger was in the breech position and instead of his head we got a nice shot of the "area"she was going to warn me about.

All I could say was "that's a boy, isn't it?"  It was a bittersweet moment.  I had a strong feeling we would have a boy all along but all I could think was "I have to do this again."  Meaning, we should probably try to give him a brother (this is not an official announcement we will go for another!).  What a selfish thing to think, but the morning sickness and all the ailments of pregnancy were so fresh on my mind.

After leaving the Dr.'s office, I decided I would keep my news a secret from everyone, including Jared. Looking back, I'm not sure why, but at the time it seemed appropriate.  I went about my day with the thoughts of change running through my mind and never led on that I had a secret.  Eventually Jared cornered me and asked if I knew.  I danced around it but eventually he got the news out of me.  It took another week or two but he finally talked me into not keeping it a secret anymore.

People were thrilled when they found out we would be adding a boy to our family.  I am ashamed to say I didn't feel the same and all I could respond with is "it'll be a fun change."  Hoping it really would be a fun one.  I had no doubts I would love the little guy but I have been in girl mode for 8 1/2 years so the thought of something new was really different.  We have been a house of pink, dolls, bows and dress ups.  I couldn't imagine blue, trucks, tractors and dirt.  What a shame right?

All of that changed on September 21st when I held him in my arms for the first time. 

0 comments: