Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The 12 Days of Christmas

I have to admit that I love to get my kids excited about Christmas and Santa.  I always try to find a balance between the true meaning and the fun of Christmas but this year I wanted to go the extra mile.  For weeks I have been wanting to put together an advent or 12 days and last night {just in time} it all came together.

I decided to focus on 12 ways my girls can serve others.  I wrote out a list of 12 people that they can serve and a little rhyme for each day.  I then cut them all out and wrapped each gift.  Each day they will open one gift and as we talk about who we will serve, they will be the ones who will help decide what that person may need.

Here's what I came up with and who they will be serving.  They won't know who they are serving until they open the gift.

On the first day of Christmas
My Mom and Dad gave to me
A lesson on service wrapped under the tree


{Last night for Family Home Evening I read the girls a story on giving and service.  Then we talked about the details of what we will be doing.}

On the second day of Christmas
I will learn to give
To those that are lonely
That among friends they may live

{We have an older couple in our ward that we just love.  Their kids all live far away and don't make much of an effort to stay connected with them so my girls will think of something they can do for them.}

On the third day of Christmas
I will learn to give
To those that serve faithfully
that with joy we may live

{Bishop}


On the forth day of Christmas
I will learn to give
To those that are sad
That in cheer they may live


{This one if for Uncle Lloyd.  He's a widower.}


On the fifth day of Christmas
I will learn to give
To those that serve me
And teach values by which to live


{Primary teachers}

On the sixth day of Christmas
I will learn to give
To that that are needy
That in comfort they may live

 
{A family that lives near us that is very poor.}

On the seventh day of Christmas
I will learn to give
To my siblings that I love
That in harmony we may live


{They will do something kind for each other.}

On the eighth day of Christmas
I will learn to give
To my friends all around me
That in unity we may live


{That's self explanatory!}

On the ninth day of Christmas
I will learn to give
To those that are sick
That in health they may live


{We have a friend who is older and has been sick for about a year.  He almost had to have his leg amputated last year but fortunately he got to keep it.  Everyday since he entered the hospital my girls have prayed for him that his leg would get better.  This day they serve him.}

On the tenth day of Christmas
I will learn to give
To strangers all around me
That as friends we may live

{Today my girls will serve our new neighbor we have yet to meet.}

On the eleventh day of Christmas
I will learn to give
To my family so dear
That in peace we may live

{Today they will serve someone in their extended family.}

On the twelfth day of Christmas
I will learn to give
To my Savior, Jesus Christ
That eternally I may live

{This should be Christmas Eve so we will have a fun night talking about the true meaning of Christmas and the way we show our love to Christ is by serving others.}

5 comments:

Newman Family said...

Kobie, this is awesome! Do you mind if I copy it?

Ashby said...

Such a great idea!

Travis and Allie said...

That is really good! I am going to steal this for next year if you don't mind!

The Varo's said...

I'm stealing it too.

RPH said...

Great idea! you are so creative!