Sunday, April 26, 2009

I have to be honest

I am way behind in my blogging. I posted one lame story this week and haven't posted one thing about what we've been up to for a while. So to all of my faithful followers (if there are any out there) I apologize.

You see, I have given up the computer. I have quit using it. It's not my thing anymore. I don't enjoy it. You get the point.

It all started when I realized that when I was using it (which I always tried to be aware of my use) I was not giving my girls the attention they needed. I noticed that we weren't communicating like we should when I was using it, even if it was just for a second. So I quit.

I try to be up by 6:30 every morning and use the time before my girls are up to get ready, check my emails, catch up reading blogs and so on. And starting tomorrow I am going to add running to that list.
I ONLY use the computer when my girls are sleeping. Since neither of them nap that means I only use it before they get up or after they have gone to bed. But to tell you the truth, I find myself not even wanting to use it then. It just doesn't interest me anymore.

I know they you can not completely go with out computer usage. I still have friends and family that I email and things that need to be done, like pay bills and such. There are also things that I need to research, like learning to incorporate more grains into my families diet.
So how do I go the whole day without doing any of that? How do I remember to Google what I would normally just sit down and do right when it came to my mind? I make a list. Seriously. At the end of the day I sit down with my list and go down it one item at a time. It might say something like "acai" or "email so and so about what ever."
And let me tell you, it is the most liberating thing I have ever done! And not only have I eliminated the computer but the TV as well. Totally. I've said before that I limited their TV time, but now I only let them watch one show in the morning after they wake up and before they want breakfast and then after that, it goes off for the rest of the day. And WE love it. We get so much done and have more fun.
So, if you find yourself becoming dependent on the computer in any way, try my method. You won't be sorry. You will learn to make a list and you will learn to dial 1-800-FREE-411 really fast for phone numbers. The ads on there won't even bother you any more.

And in return you will have lots of this:

3 comments:

RPH said...

I love it Kobie!

You are inspiring.

I know you are short on time, but check your e mail. It is a good one about whole grains.

Love ya!

Rachel said...

You are my hero, Kobie Jo.

I actually had to look up this post again because I'm gearing up to try to ditch the computer addiction sometime soon. I had to find your free 411 number and read your motivating words one more time. I am trying to transform into a "busy body" myself :), thanks for your example.

KJH said...

Rachel! Yay! I hope it works good for you! I love it and still go without using it. It's bliss!