Wednesday, June 18, 2008

So long, farewell....I don't miss you!

Let me give you little briefing on my house. It belonged to Jared's grandparents and was built in 1974. After his Granny's death, the house was empty and we thought Taylor might be a nice change so we decided to move in. Let me give you an idea of how this house looked when we moved in. (I really wish I had before and after photos.) The living room had dark (and I mean DARK) wood paneling on the walls, a gold chandelier and red carpet. The girls' room had bluish/green shag carpet and paneling to match. Our room had white carpet, green paneling and one light in the far left corner. That is just a VERY SMALL briefing. I could go on. That doesn't include any other rooms we have worked on. My mother in law could probably remind me of more. In fact the other day we were talking about the house and she said that from the time it was built until we moved in it was almost exactly the same. The only things that were different were the curtains (which were red velvet) and my bedroom used to have green shag to match the paneling. You have to give it to Jared's Grandpa, when he did it- he did it all the way! We waited to replace the carpet until the bad messes were officially over. So on that note.....
It's gone! It's ALL gone! I have finally entered the world of normal carpet.

My bedroom BEFORE:

AFTER:


This is the best part!

The living room BEFORE:

AFTER:

I love it! The carpet is called "That's just beachy" and let me tell you, it is! I seriously feel like I'm at the beach. It looks like sand, but feels better.

Do I even need to point out the horrible curtains in every room? Now that we are past the red, I can focus on the curtains. Heather suggested that I go with red but I think I might be scarred for life!

Of course there there are lots of changes to still be made but the worst it over- the carpet and tile. Remember that? Anyway, the fireplace needs some help, the mirror has to go (although I don't know if it will, Jared has some crazy attachment to it. He says he likes to watch the cars on Main Street. The funny thing is when you are sitting on the couch you can't even see Main Street!) , new couches, a huge picture of Christ above the piano....it never ends. Basically, if you think something needs to be moved or changed or that something needs to be added- it probably will be!

The carpet is the original carpet from when the house was built. It was in extremely great shape. It was made of wool. Everybody always commented on how great it looked. The only problem- it was red! Anyway, when the installer came in he truly could not believe that we wanted to get rid of it. No joke, he asked if he could have it! He wanted to put it in his living room! I told him he was welcome to it. Well, after he started to pull it up he realized it had a burlap backing so it wouldn't be any good after pulling it up. I think that may have saved his marriage.

FYI, I will add pictures of the girls' room soon!

6 comments:

Romney Revolution said...

It looks SOOOOOOO good Kobie! I love it!

The Varo's said...

My goodness it the carpet looks awesome! It looks like a totally different house. Good job!

Lyndsay Winters said...

I'm so glad you have your own blog....I will be checking in regularly! I have to come visit you so I can see all the great house changes in person. And you can let Jared know that he is not the only person in Taylor I haven't visited in a while....I seriously haven't seen my grandparents since my wedding over 2 years ago! Sad.

Briana said...

OK Kobie! We are seriously coming up to see all the changes for ourselves! Next month for sure. We can't wait! Everything looks great! I especially love the crown molding!

Ashby said...

I really have to stop switching between my emails because I can never remember which name I'm posting under.....LOL! I totally missed Addie climbing on your bed in the first picture. She just blended right in. And again, LOVE the new carpet!

Julie Butler said...

Kobie the red carpet was classic. The new looks awesome but the red was fantastic, j/k. I love keeping up with you guys through blogging. Your girls are so cute. Congrates on all the new changes with the house. You guys are doing such a great job.