You know how there are some people who just make your life better, more fun, more uplifting, easier, etc? The other day I was thinking about how many people I have like that in my life. I know many of them but some of them really stand out!
My neighbor Erin is one of those people. She has got to be one of the funniest people I know. She has such a funny way of talking about real life problems that will make anyone laugh! But at the same time, she is also very realistic and sees things as they are. She recently went through a very difficult time and as I sat in her living room and listened to her pour her heart out as she sobbed, I saw a very tender side of her. She saw things for what they were and was willing to do anything it took to get through it. To me, the most admirable thing about Erin is the way she mothers. She didn't grow up with a mom who cared much for her so she makes up for it tenfold with her girls. She shows amazing patience and always speaks in sweet tones to them. When I am feeling impatient with my kids I will often put myself in check by asking, "what would Erin do?" That's all it takes and I realize I need to back up and try again because Erin would handle it with patience and kindness. Overall, Erin is one of those people you want to be around, don't want to leave, and feel like a better person after being in her presence.
Another one of those people is our former Temple President and family friend, Merlin Hancock. I don't think I have ever known another person like him. When you're with him, you feel like you are the only person there and that you are the only thing that matters to him. He makes you feel like you are the most beautiful, wonderful, and important person in the world. Anytime I would see him at the temple, he would give me a big hug, and while holding my arm take a few moments to talk to me. I always hoped I would run into him while I was there just so I could have a minute with him. One day I was in his office with him and Jared and he asked me how I felt about being sealed for eternity yo my husband and family. Few things in life make me tear up, but that question had tears running down my face and my heart swelling with love. What does it take to be a person who can make the rest of the world disappear? I want to know his secret and do that for other people!
If there was an award for having everything on hand at all times, that award would go to my friend Lacey. That girl has bailed me out countless times! Before we had Walmart closeby my sister needed a few pieces of cardstock, I knew just who to call! When I needed a scrap of white fabric, I knew just who to call! When I wanted to make quilts with my girls but needed a little direction, I knew just who to call! That lady has everything! And she doesn't just offer you a little bit of what she has, she gives it all! She gave my sister the entire ream of cardstock and refused to let her replace or repay her. When I needed a scrap of fabric she sent me away with a gigantic bag so I would have options to choose from. When I called quilting advice, she showed up at my house with the frames and needles, helped me put it all together and got us started. She is amazing and a very handy person to know.
My friend Raygon is one of the greatest friends I have ever had. She randomly mails me fun packages that have included things from white chocolate M&M's, clothes, a baby wrap, homemade vanilla, and more! Sometimes I am expecting them and other times it's a surprise. We text almost daily and I always enjoy hearing from her. Sometimes we text about serious things we have going on in life and other times we report funny things that have happened. She is a true friend- she does not judge me, she gives me awesome ideas, sets me straight when I need it and is always there. We don't talk on the phone and we only see each other once a year (maybe) but she is one of the greatest friends I have.
Another friend I am lucky to have is Mindy. Mindy is one of those girls who I know I can always count on for a laugh. We have so many inside jokes, many that go back several years. I don't think we have ever had a visit with each other that has not included a laugh. We are also confidants for each other. She's had a few surprise pregnancies and I feel honored that she shared those with me before anyone else. I was also the first to find out (other than her husband) that after five boys she is finally having a girl. Finally! I threw her a surprise and impromptu gender reveal party and I have to say it was one of the greatest moments of our friendship. It was only my family, her family, and one other friend at the party but we enjoyed every second out of the news. She is also dependable and I love that about her. I know I can always count on her to follow through with anything she promises. She is one heck of a friend and I am glad we live close to each other.
I am so lucky to have these people in my life. I hope that in some way I can be like Erin, President Hancock, Lacey, Rayon, and Mindy and enrich the lives of people around me.
Sunday, December 24, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment