![]() |
R to L Back row: Manuel, Michael, Johnathon, Gilbert, Daniel
Middle row: Ashley, Keith, Stephanie, Manuel, Bill, Roise
Front row Jim, Donella, Toni
|
And sweet little Stephanie with Down syndrome. Man, was she boy crazy! She would blush at the sight of any boy who passed her. She had the sweetest most gentle personality.
Johnathon Baker aka Stone Dawg (Seriously!). He was an aspiring gangster and breakdancer. Everyone knew and loved him. He would start breakdancing (which he was terrible at) during lunch or passing period and everyone would circle around to watch and cheer him on. He's got to be nearly 40 years old now but my friend, Monica, told me he is still running the streets of Southwest Queen Creek, or as she still calls it, Chandler Heights.
Now Micheal, oh what a sweet kid. He was head over heels in love with Stephanie. He would wait for her outside the classroom door and light up the moment he saw her. I was able to take him to Art class and spend time getting to know him personally. He had the sweetest and softest heart of anyone.
Ashley was a force to be reckoned with! She was a fireball and could be a little mean. But if she loved you, she really loved you! And you knew it. Fortunately, I felt like someone she loved. It wasn't easy to make her laugh but when she did give in and chuckle it would warm your heart!
Jim was the most handicapped of all of the kids but I am so glad I had experience with him. It was a little difficult in the beginning because he had less control of his body which meant he would flail, drool and moan. But working with him helped me to overcome any fear or trepidation I had. The ability to work with and understand people like Jim has come in handy many times in my life!
Little Donella was truly one of the happiest people I have ever known. I don't think I ever saw her without a big grin on her face. I often wonder what she knew that I didn't know that made her so happy. Her body was limited in its capabilities and her life had its challenges but she smiled all the way through it.
Daniel was a giant! He was the biggest and most intimidating of the bunch, but there was nothing to be intimidated by other than his size. He was nothing more than a teddy bear. He always wore a plain black t-shirt and jeans. It was almost like a uniform for him.
Bill was the cutest! I remember him always being so cheerful. He was also polite and well mannered. I remember that he always wore polo shirts with jeans or shorts and tennis shoes. Bill, what a funny name for a teenage kid, but it suited him. He seemed like an old soul stuck in the body of a teenager with the mentality of a child.
I will be forever grateful for the chance I had to work with these special kids for two years. It has helped so much as I have encountered other people with similar needs throughout the years. The things I learned, the fears I overcame and the opportunity to be with such perfect and celestial people changed my life.

0 comments:
Post a Comment