Life was good in early 2002. I loved my job at Anasazi, I had a fun calling with my friend Brad, I had a car, money in my pocket and freedom!
On February 4, 2002, my dad told me to quickly clean up the living room because a missionary was going to be coming over to be released. I didn't think much of it, it had happened before. i cleaned up the living room and escaped to my bedroom. I remember my dad taking care of the missionary and as I heard him and his escorts leave, I peaked out the curtains in my bedroom. I think I might have only caught a glimpse of the back of this mystery missionary.
Life went on and I never again thought about that night.
Then on March 23, 2002 I had Stake Young Adult Choir Practice. My friend Katy and I sang our little hearts outs then joined the group at Ally White's house for dessert. While we were there we struck up a friendly conversation with a returned missionary named Jared and his friend Jeremy. At one point they challenged us to a game of pool. There was a wager- the losers had to treat the winners to a dinner at the restaurant of their choice.
Katy had spent some time in bars so pool was right up her ally. It was never of interest to me and I never really tried to learn. Needless to say, we lost. When we got into Katy's car that night she said, "I'm really digging that Jared." I remember saying, "you can have him!" Interest in either of those boys had never even crossed my mind! They were nice and fun but all I knew is that I owed them dinner.
The next weekend Katy and I made good on our bet and treated the boys to a steak dinner at Outback Steakhouse. It was during that dinner that Jared and I started to talk. We chatted and before I knew it, it seemed like it was just me and him at that table. Poor Katy and Jeremey couldn't get a word in! Later that evening while we were alone, Katy mentioned that to me but it was in one ear and out the other.
We had a few more choir practices and Jared and I talked even more. Then he asked me if I would like to go with him to see Jerry Seinfeld live, in a press box. The one stipulation was, his mom and grandma would be joining us. That didn't bother me one bit! He was fun to be with and that's all I cared about! He came and picked me up in his blue Chevy truck then we made our way out to his house so he could pick up his mom and grandma. I about died inside when they came walking out wearing IDENTICAL outfits!!! Black polyester pants and white lace shirts- surely something ordered in a mail order catalog. They explained that it was not planned but they thought it was funny so they weren't going to change.
We had dinner at Texas Roadhouse and enjoyed a little bit of Jerry's show. It got raunchy so everyone decided to leave. We made our way back to his house where his mom and grandma went to bed so we decided to watch a movie. I just remember feeling so comfortable with him. He was polite and obviously so kind to his mom and grandma. Something about him impressed me. We continued to hang out and it became more and more exclusive.
A few days later I decided to take a day trip to visit my parents at their place in Vernon. I don't remember how it happened but Jared ended up escorting me. I sat in the truck next to him the whole way and we had a great time.
That evening he asked me to join him on a date. The only thing I remember is going to Tempe Town Lake and riding the paddle boats. On our drive home he held my hand for the first time. That sort of sealed the deal for us.
One day I was talking on the phone to my friend Melinda and she invited me to visit her in California. We could go to Six Flags, Disneyland and the beach! She had boyfriend at the time who would be joining us and I said I had a friend I could invite. I invited Jared to come with me, I bought plane tickets and before I knew it we were flying across the sky headed towards California.
We spent the weekend having a great time with Paul and Melinda. Paul and Jared got along great! There were no crowds and we walked onto almost every ride at both parks. After a long day at Disney on Saturday we decided to make one last stop before heading home- Santa Monica Pier. That's where we shared our first kiss. I'll just say everything was perfect : )
We got home the next day, which also happened to be Mother's Day. Things were moving very fast at this point and within a few days we decided to get married. We picked out a ring and started making plans. Due to crazy circumstances my ring wasn't ready for quite a while so I didn't receive an official proposal until two weeks before our wedding date!
I was definitely expecting the proposal so when Jared picked me up for a date dressed very sharp and acting very nervous, I wasn't surprised. He was shaking and trembling the whole night! It was making me laugh inside. We went up to to Papago Peak and hiked to the top. It was dark and the view of the city lights were beautiful. He was so nervous couldn't muster up the courage to ask! We spent the whole night together before he must have decided he'd better ask before the night ended. We found ourselves at the pier at Power Ranch when he finally asked. It was sweet, of course I said yes and a few weeks later we were married!
It's been 15 years since all of this happened. (How can I remember so many details?!) Things may have moved very fast for us but it worked. We are more in love now than we've ever been, so I can't wait to see what the next 15 years brings!



0 comments:
Post a Comment