I absolutely adore Marty Call. She is a middle aged woman in my ward who always know the right thing to say and when. She is the BEST teacher, speaker, hugger, jokester, etc. She spoke in church a few weeks ago and the spirit hit me hard that she was the one who could help me make my final decision about something that has been weighing on my mind.
For two years now I have served as PTSO president at Taylor Intermediate. Last year about killed me and I threw in the towel after the first semester only the take it all back and finish out the year. I learned a lot about myself, being a leader, limits and other people.
I decided to give it one more shot, this time with two great new gals who brought fresh air to the group. Unfortunately, even with a pretty decent committee I still haven't enjoyed the experience. It finally dawned on me that it wasn't the girls that were bringing me down and ruining the experience, it is the faculty at the school. The principal is a dud and the attendance secretary is very low on my list of favorite people.
I decided that I could not longer carry the burden so I talked to Addie and Kimber about me leaving. They burst into tears and begged me to stay to which I said I would reconsider. It's weighed on my mind for months now. I knew I wanted out but I just couldn't completely tell myself to let go of the reigns.
Fast forward to Marty's talk in church. The spirit strongly urged me to sit down with her and talk it over. Today that happened. She is so wise.
I laid it out for her and told her how my girls felt. She was quick to tell me that it is not my girls' decision.
I read her my list of pros and cons. She listened carefully, interjecting where appropriate.
When I told her that one of the cons was that it doesn't really bring me much joy, she said "it's a volunteer thing. It should bring you lots of joy! It shouldn't be something you dread." Amen, Marty!
She told me that instead of "doing everything" I just needed to be the Room Mom. Volunteering once a week and being with my girls then; in their classroom and interacting with them.
She also told me that if the Breakfast with Santa brought so much joy to me, I could volunteer to run it, do the job, feel good about it then walk away and be done. Genius! Why didn't I think of that?? Although, come November, I'm not sure I'll feel like taking that on ;)
She told me that when she spoke in church, she sat on the stand, looked at every face and thought, "I want to hear from every one of you before you hear from me again!" She said we all take turns and it is someone else's turn, so pass the baton.
Marty, thank you for telling me what I already knew but saying it so simply. Sometimes we just need to hear it form someone with more life experience than we have.
Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment