Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Standout Memories

I have so many great memories from my childhood but there some that stand out more than others.  Like the time my mom kept me home from school to take me shopping for new shoes.  Or the times my Dad would take me to Golfland when our school had it reserved.  I went so many times I got earned a Golfland t-shirt!  I try to help my kids create those same memories but I probably won't know if I have succeeded until they are all grown. 

Bedtime for the girls around here is 8:00 but last night I threw our routine out the window and let the girls talk me into making chocolate chip cookies at 8:30.  That's so out of the norm for me but it was so fun.  Addie and Lucy showered while Kimber and I baked in the kitchen.  We were all laughing and having a great time.
It was 10:00 before Kimber finally crashed although Addie fell asleep around 9:30.  That's late for them but I wouldn't have traded it for the world.  We'll be back to normal tonight but I hope my kids look back and remember skipping bedtime to eat cookies. 

On that note I want to remember the time that Addie and I snuck away after Kimber and Lucy were in bed and went to Wal-Mart at 9:30 at night to get groceries.  It was the night before everyone was arriving to celebrate the 4th of July and we were fresh out of everything so it was going to be serious shopping.  It takes about 30 minutes to get to our Wal-Mart and I remember Addie and I singing to the radio and having a great conversation.  We ended up getting home at about 12:30 and after we unloaded all of the groceries Addie was hungry so she ate a bowl of Cheerios.  It was about 1:00 by the time she ended up going to bed.  She has talked about that experience so many times and refers to it as the time she "stayed up all night."

Maybe I don't have to wait until their grow to find out if they remember these things after all.

0 comments: