Monday, April 11, 2011

Picking my Battles

In the past Addie and I have had disagreements on what matches and what doesn't, what coordinates with what and why an outfit might seem like it goes because the top and bottom both have shades of blue, but that doesn't mean it goes. 

A few months ago after I tried explaining why something didn't match I found her in her bedroom crying.  She went on and on telling me that she wasn't good at picking out clothes so she should just run away.  It was a really tender moment but what got me crying was after I asked her where she would go she told me she didn't know but that she would probably let herself get eaten by a bear.  It sounds funny now but we were both in tears at the time.  We talked it over extensively and I worked harder at teaching her how to pair clothes.

Then this morning happened.  I told her it was going to be a nice day and pulled out a pair of capris for her to wear.  Well, the capris were shorter than she thought they should have been.  She wanted to wear leggings.  I explained that she didn't have anything to wear them with.  She had her mind set on wearing a blue skirt with them.  I was frustrated and she was bound and determined to not wear those capris!  She was in tears and I stood my ground.  I finally got fed up and walked out wishing her good luck in finding something to wear. 

After a few minutes I started to feel really awful.  Who cares what she wears to school?  I found her in the bathroom dressed and putting in a pair of peace sign heart earrings.  I apologized and we talked it over.  I told her she could wear the outfit she had on and let her choose how she wanted her hair.  It was very humbling to see her begin to glow at how great she felt. 

You know she likes to dress up and always look her best so I sent my sweet Addie to school like this:
Black long sleeved shirt on such a gorgeous day, size 3T leggings and a cheerleader skirt from the dress up box.  She had her favorite headband on and was loving her earrings.  And she was wearing black shoes 'because black matches, Mom!'
Some of you are probably thinking it's not that bad.  Really it's not that bad.  So yes, I learned a lesson today.

On another note it's always interesting to hear what your kids do and say when you aren't around.  We had a babysitter, Olivia, the other night and yesterday I was talking to Jennifer, Olivia's mom at church.  She couldn't stop laughing as she was telling me about the conversation Olivia and Addie had had. 

Addie: "Olivia when you grow up if you get an exciting calling, give me a call."
Olivia: "Like what kind of calling?"
Addie: "Like Primary or something.  Just give me a call and tell me about it."

I love this girl.

4 comments:

Heather Evans said...

Oh Addie girl, only you can make me laugh like that! Let's just hope that strong will and determination will pay of when it comes to choosing the right in your life.

Lisa said...

Hey Kobie! Addie sounds just like my Samantha! I've tried so many times explaining to her about matching clothes etc but I always lose the fight! Oh well she's only 6..hopefully someday soon our fashion advice will make sense to them!

Sheila Richardson said...

She looks adorable! Of course I would think she looked cute no matter what she wore. Who do you think will be impressed with her wardrobe? Her teacher that can't spell? Sorry, I just had to mention that. Mom

The Varo's said...

So I totally laughed so hard at your mom's comment...She's such a cute girl in whatever she wears. It's probably a good thing you don't see what my kids wear everyday. It's usually a diaper and mismatched flip flops. I can't keep clothes on them and luckily the people here don't care!