Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas Traditions

I am normally a Scrooge when it comes to Christmas. Mostly because I hate the cold and Christmas means cold. But, this year I finished all of my shopping before Thanksgiving so that I could sit back and enjoy without feeling the pressure of getting any shopping done. What a difference it makes! I told my sister in law the other day that Christmas is a whole lot more fun when you don't have to spend it in a crowd at Wal-Mart! So instead of focusing on shopping I have turned my focus to traditions. Some of them we've had for a while and some of them are new this year.

One new tradition that we have is painting Village Houses. Jared's Mom always had a village she displayed during Christmastime and since our marriage we have had had our own that seems to grow a little bigger each year. It's made up a some store bought pieces but mostly hand painted ones. This year we decided that our girls should start contributing so for Family Home Evening one night we busted out the paint and brushes and let them pick their own houses to paint. I couldn't believe that they stayed focused for an hour and half painting away.

Of course we kept up tradition by getting a real tree. Jared and Addie ventured out last Saturday to find the perfect tree. They came home with a bushy pinon. It's what I grew up with so although more bush-like than tree-like, it's Christmas to me!

Although Sunday was frigid and miserable, Jared let into his girl's pleas to put the tree up. I bundled up and went out to get the ornaments while Jared went to get the tree and attach the stand. The girl's excitement made it all worth it. They were screeching with glee when they saw it. They were so happy to put on the ornaments and get it all finished.

Of course we hung our Grandma Hatch stockings. Jared went around taking pictures while the girls and I decorated the tree. He always gets away with not decorating it.

Another new tradition that we have started is hanging our Grandma Hatch ornaments. Last Christmas, Marlene wrote a letter to her family and we each received a copy. For Family Home Evening the other night we read the letter and then we each hung our ornament on the tree. She gave each person a hand-carved ornament of the Nativity to go with the letter.What would Christmas be without a few classic movies?

And today Addie and I worked on wrapping presents. We only wrapped a few of the ones we have to give to others but she was a great help! I didn't get any pictures of her in action, but check out her work. (With lots of help from mom!) She proudly picked out the wrapping paper specifically for each person.

We also kept up tradition by making our own bows. My mother in law got me started when Jared and I first got married. It takes extra effort, but the girls had a good time doing it. (I just realized I don't even have a picture of our bows. I'll add some later!)

And there you have it! The post that I thought was never going to happen! If you'll notice I started working on this on Dec. 10th. It only took me a week. I promise not to take this long ever again!

4 comments:

Newman Family said...

At last! A post! And a great one at that. your girls are getting so big. Jared looks like he was really getting into the village painting. Fun stuff!

RPH said...

Allright, first of all....YOUR HAIR IS GORGEOUS! I love it! It is so pretty with all those big curls in it.

Next, I think it is great that you focused on traditions this year. What a great idea.

And your tree is classic! (and I am laughing at your post about it falling! ha!)

Looks like you guys are alive and well and I am glad to see that.

Miss ya. Merry Christmas, my friend.

Yvette said...

You are a head of me, maybe next year I'll have all my shopping done early too. Great job!

Jennifer Larson said...

Your tree is beautiful. I have never seen a that type of tree. I really like it. I am going to try and follow your example next year and be done with the shopping early. It was crazy this year with Corwin's Bday at thanksgiving and being a forgetful pregnant woman.