Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Our little missionary

Lately I have noticed that Addie is asking a lot of questions- more than normal. I try really hard to answer them and give an age appropriate explanation. One of the things that she has been asking about is Aunt Mildred. She asks me if I remember when we went and saw her "in that box." (Although I didn't go to the viewing.) A few days ago she asked me why she was "in the ground covered in all that dirt?" I tried telling her that when we die that is what we do with our bodies because our spirits, that live inside of us while we are alive, leave to go live with Heavenly Father. She would ask again and again and each time I would try and rephrase my answer. She wasn't ever satisfied until later that day when Jared came home and he overheard her asking me the same question. Jared spoke up and explained to her that after we die our bodies stay here on earth and our spirits go to heaven. Then when Jesus comes again we will all get our bodies back and we won't be sick or have anything wrong with us anymore. Oddly enough, that was all she needed to hear!

So then yesterday we got two packages for Jared's Aunt and Uncle that live behind us so we decided to take a walk and deliver them. Aunt Holly (who is a tad bit on the anti-Mormon side) invited us in for a visit and her and Addie instantly struck up a conversation. Addie began telling her that Aunt Mildred (Holly's sister-in-law) had died and that she was now in the ground covered with dirt. What she said next really shocked me and sort of sent me into a panic, considering Holly's beliefs. "Aunt Mildred is in the ground, but when Jesus comes she will get out." I thought, "oh no! She is going to ask us to leave!" But, Holly actually said, "that's right. The Bible says 'Ashes to ashes and dust to dust.'" I don't remember much else because I was so surprised.

A religious conversation between a 3 year old and an anti-Mormon? It's a lesson learned for me, why am I often too afraid to speak up?

2 comments:

RPH said...

Little kids can be so amazing and inspiring, cant they?

LaurieO said...

Yes, my kids are braver than I am about sharing the gospel. Hey by the way, will you let Ragon know I need an invite to her blog. I don't have her e-mail address. Thanks!

P.S. I found that chair at Shepherds Kitchen in Snowflake. I think I just got lucky because I usually don't find much I am looking for there. :)