There are some things that I love about this town, 4th of July being one of them. This town goes crazy for the 4th! Since Taylor always celebrates the 4th on the Saturday that is closest to the actual 4th (does that make any sense?), we got to celebrate twice. And what better way to celebrate the 4th of July than to have a delicious Mexican feast? We had chimichangas and all the works. It was SO good! After we ate we headed up to Show Low to watch the fireworks. They were like a bad dream that wouldn't end! They did them one at a time and dragged them out for an hour, a very looooong hour. We kept saying "surely this is it and they are over." Then just like the movie Groundhog Day, they started all over again. It got pretty comical at the end. At one point we thought they were over and done with and my Dad started putting the chairs away, then sure enough here came more.
Drake and Addie enjoying the firecracker show put on by Brigham and Soren.

Kimber LOVES Annie. Wait, we all do!
Kimber enjoying the fireworks. Addie slept in the truck the whole time.

Kimber enjoying the fireworks. Addie slept in the truck the whole time.
The belly! Here is little Ivy's current home. We can't wait to meet her in September. (FYI, this is not my belly! This is my sister's!)
On Saturday we celebrated with the town. The day starts at about 4:15 (yes, a.m.!) with the anvil blowing. They take an anvil, load it up with gun powder, place a piece of paper on that and top it with another anvil, then they light the paper. It's quite the ordeal. Click here to see what I mean. Scroll to about 2 minutes and 20 seconds to see the actual thing. This video does absolutely NO justice to the noise it really makes. Everyone (I mean, everyone who is crazy enough to get up that early) meets at a certain spot and lines up in their cars and trucks. They have a brass band that plays and everything. They all line up and blow the anvil. Then they drive a little bit, stop and blow it again. They start about 1/2 a mile or so from my house and the first one always wakes me up. It truly shakes my house! It is so loud! Don't let the video deceive you! But that's not all. Not only is the anvil super loud, but everyone blows their horns the whole time. It's a great tradition, but I really enjoy my sleep. And since I live in Main Street, I get the privilege of having them drive right in front of my house. Lovely.

On Saturday we celebrated with the town. The day starts at about 4:15 (yes, a.m.!) with the anvil blowing. They take an anvil, load it up with gun powder, place a piece of paper on that and top it with another anvil, then they light the paper. It's quite the ordeal. Click here to see what I mean. Scroll to about 2 minutes and 20 seconds to see the actual thing. This video does absolutely NO justice to the noise it really makes. Everyone (I mean, everyone who is crazy enough to get up that early) meets at a certain spot and lines up in their cars and trucks. They have a brass band that plays and everything. They all line up and blow the anvil. Then they drive a little bit, stop and blow it again. They start about 1/2 a mile or so from my house and the first one always wakes me up. It truly shakes my house! It is so loud! Don't let the video deceive you! But that's not all. Not only is the anvil super loud, but everyone blows their horns the whole time. It's a great tradition, but I really enjoy my sleep. And since I live in Main Street, I get the privilege of having them drive right in front of my house. Lovely.
They also have a patriotic program, a rodeo and food. We went over to the rodeo grounds and ate some yummy BBQ then watched the rodeo for a little while before coming home for fireworks. Thousands of people sit in the grand stands and watch from there but since we are so close we can see them from home- which is awesome! Jared got us really great seats too. We sat on the top of the toy hauler. A little red-neckish, but it was great! Kimber was in bed so we didn't have to worry about her and Addie sat on Jared's lap the whole time. The fireworks were great! They play patriotic music at the grounds so it's neat to have that in the background. It's also fun to hear everyone in the stands "ooh" and "ahh" over the really cool ones.
Addie loves for her Dad to paint her nails. He loves to remind her that he is probably the only Dad that would ever do it.
Kimber enjoying a delicious piece of packaging popcorn.

Addie and Dad watching the fireworks.


It was such a fun weekend! We got to be with family and even got to see some of our friends from out of town, like Brad and Stephanie. If you have never been to Taylor for the 4th of July, you are truly missing out!
2 comments:
Kimbie Aunt Heay loves you and when I see your little picture it makes me sad you live far away!! You little stinker, I love you.
I miss going to Taylor for the 4th of July. We enjoyed the fireworks in Taylor about 3 years ago while we were camping Your girls are so darling! It was good to see you on Sunday. Kristi helped me open up a blog and I am loving it.
Post a Comment