I've been feeling like my life has been one big whirlwind since Colton's birth. I rarely have time for anything, let alone fun. Yesterday as I sat in my kitchen eating lunch I thought about all of the work that needed to be done. I thought about the tasks I would give my girls when they got home from school and it felt daunting. It's been a while since we did anything spontaneous so I decided if there wasn't any free time for fun then I would schedule it. I tried to think of something simple that my girls would enjoy and then decided I would make a party of it. I quickly threw together an invitation, one for Addie and one Kimber and nicely put them on their pillows. This picture is of Kimber's invitation. Sometimes she needs a little (or a lot of extra coaxing) so I had to add the part about working hard and not complaining to hers.
When it was time to pick up the girls from school I simply said, "if it was me I would go straight to my room when I get home and make my bed."
When we got home Addie immediately went to her room and found her invitation. She was so excited! Kimber on the other hand had a lot of questions for me. "Where is the party going to be? Why are we having one?" I told her she didn't have to come but we would be having fun with or without her. Eventually she complied and by 3:00 we all had our work done (including myself who had loads of office work). We went to Sonic for drinks where I had to try a Dirty Diet Coke. I hear about them from everyone and finally gave in. I'm not a soda drinker but it was a fun little treat.
When we got home we pulled out a few games and sprawled them out on the floor along with the Halloween candy.
We played a game chosen by everyone while I let the girls eat all the candy they wanted. They were probably wondering where their real mom went since the candy had been in hiding for a few days.
I learned a great lesson yesterday. I am at a point in my life where my schedule is made by my children, especially a newborn, so if I want to incorporate something extra in it, I just have to make it my priority, whatever it might be.
It all paid off when Addie came to me in the kitchen before bed and said "I loved today. It was so fun." I asked what was so fun and she said "everything. I loved the party"






0 comments:
Post a Comment