Thursday, February 2, 2012

My friends are old

A long time ago I realized that all of my friends are old.  I do have lots of young friends but I'm sort of a loner and I prefer to stay to myself.  I'm not one to get together with girlfriends for a girls night or to schedule play dates for our kids so we can sit and chat.  And it seems like in any calling I serve in it's with people who could by my parent or grandparent.

I mentioned this to my sister one day and she brought up a good point.  She said it's nice to be with those kinds of people because they are seasoned and wise.  There's no competition for them.  Rather they offer wise advice on how to be a better wife, mother and person since they have already been there and done that.  I've thought about that many times since it seems like I am surrounded by so many "seasoned" people, especially women.

I wonder if this is why I often feel like I don't fit in with the young girls in my ward and around town.  I feel like we have very different interests and priorities that I just prefer to stick to myself and do my own thing.  I have even wondered if Jared's calling effects how I feel about this.  He was 26 when he was called to serve in in the Bishopric and in the nearly five years that have passed we have greatly matured.  I wonder if I feel older because we entered a phase of life people don't usually enter until they are about ten years older than Jared was.  I'm not sure if this really plays a part or not but I've questioned this.

Tomorrow I turn 30.  I'm officially leaving my 20's behind and moving on to another decade, a little more seasoned if you will.  My 20's were great but I won't miss them.  I'll never forget my 27th birthday (here and here).  It's by far the best year I've had as of yet but I'm ready to move on and anxious for what this new decade might bring.

Speaking of seasoned friends, this morning a sweet friend in my ward, Joyce Meservey, dropped by with a birthday goodie plate.  She could easily be my grandma since she is in her 70's.  She never forgets my birthday or any special event in my life.  She has dropped in for a visit after the birth of each of my girls.   

When I first moved to Taylor I was assigned as her Visiting Teacher.  I always enjoyed our visits and got to know her very well.  She is a little rough around the edges and many people are intimidated by her. But not me.  She spent many years in the Army and is strong willed, honest and blunt.  But that's what I like about her.  She also has a wonderful sense of humor.

Joyce is from Tennessee and great up in an abusive home.  I've heard her tell many times how her father would kick her mom in the stomach while she was pregnant.  She's overcome many obstacles in her life and I think that's why she is such a gem of a person.

She is your typical retired Grandma with a closet full of outdated dresses in mint condition with the shoes and purses to match.  One time she came to Church wearing a white dress, white nylons and white shoes.  Add her cotton-top and she was quite angelic looking.  I told her she looked very celestial and she asked if I believed that her dress was actually 20 years old!?  In my head I'm thinking, only 20?  But my words said, "wow!  Look at the condition of it!  It's perfect!"  It was from her son's wedding and it was still in style.  Or at least that's what she said.

Every year her and her husband, Harold, take a road-trip across the country to visit their families. (Harold actually deserves his own post.  He's from Maine and is the FASTEST talker I have ever met.  A few weeks ago I overheard a new lady in our ward ask him if he has ever done auctions.  I about died I was laughing so hard inside.)   I swear every year she tells me it's going to be their last trip.  This last time she stayed behind in Tennessee to be with her sister for a few extra weeks.  I was so surprised when Harold told me she refused plane tickets because she would be taking the Greyhound Bus!  But it also made my day when I received a postcard from her telling us she would be happy to see us when she got home.

One thing I love about Joyce is how patriotic she is.  She loves our country and there's not a doubt in my mind that if she was able to she would still be enlisted in the Army today.  Her house is adorned with America flags, as is her Grand Marquis.  She's also a cow collector and an Elvis lover.  For years and years she has got up early and went for a morning walk.  She says that's why she has stayed thin and healthy.

She recently told me that her and her husband eat dinner at 4:00 and then go to bed early because that's the way old people do it.  I love her honesty.

I'm not sure how this all ties together but in my mind my birthday has caused some reflection.  Maybe I should actually start telling people I'll be 70 tomorrow.

1 comments:

Ashby said...

I was so scared to turn 30, but honestly, it was one of my favorite years! I'm sure I'll tell you a million more times after this, but Happy Birthday tomorrow!