If any of you know me really well then you will know how much I hate running. Or should I say hated! In Elementary School when they announced it would was the mile run day I would have rather come down with the plague. It was the worst day of the entire school year for me. So a few months ago when I decided to begin training for a 10k, it felt like an impossible goal to reach.
Since I have never been a runner, I couldn't even run a quarter mile when I started. I seriously hated running even more than in Elementary School when I started. I had to drag myself out of bed and force my shoes on my feet. Slowly, my attitude changed and I began enjoying the time alone and watching myself progress. I pushed and pushed myself and on Saturday I competed in my first race. Now, competed is a bit too strong of a word for me. It's more like I participated. It was only 2 miles (the first time in my life I have ever said only 2 miles!) but I decided to run so that I could get a feel for where I am at. I can run a 5k but it was either 2 miles or a 10k, I opted for the 2 miles.
Saturday was race day and I showed up ready to run and was just to survive. I was prepared to be passed up by every person and even told myself that I may come in last, and that would be
fine. I had worked so hard to improve my distance and not my time.
But, I surprised myself! I came in 4th in my category (age 20-29)! My time was 19:26 and I was number 29 out of 90. Keep in mind that there was a handful of people running the 10k. If I had known that I was fourth and was that close to placing then I would have pushed way harder and tried to pass those girls up! I was focused on finishing, not on placing.
I have one more 2 miler to conquer on the 18th (I am trying to improve my speed for that one) then I will be back to my 10k training. But, I have to start somewhere.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
woohoo! good job kobie!
run kobie, run!
Yeah for you!
Wow! Good job Kobie! Maybe we will come and cheer you on!!
Wahoo! Kobie I am still so proud of you keep up the good work!
Good for you! that is awesome!!!
another thing we havbe in common. it took me 4 months to finally be okay with running and then i got pregnant! ha! way to go kobes!! hopefully it wont take as long for you to like it, but i was the same way. i even sadly cheated and would lie to not run. or even ditch class. how awful am i. i need to repent!
congrats and i think it's HUGE. i hate running and i thought i'd try it last summer. i FINALLY got to a full mile and then i got pregnant too. i'm just getting amped up to start again.
Post a Comment